Background

There is a large group of self-taught “Duodenal Switch Veterans” (those who had DS surgery many years ago) who believe that supplementation should be much more aggressive than the ASMBS guidelines suggest.

Methods

We sent surveys to six of the largest duodenal switch Facebook groups with a total number of followers of 6.5K. We analyzed 52 years’ worth of data points with strictly defined inclusion criteria.

Results

For Vitamin A, patients had normal laboratory values at 90.4% of lab draws (N =89), 9.6% - above normal. They were taking a mean of 36,730IU Vitamin A daily. For Vitamin D, patient had normal laboratory values at 86.4% of lab draws (N=89), 1.7% - above normal, 11.9% - below normal. They were taking a mean of 82,619IU Vitamin D daily. For Vitamin E, patients had normal laboratory values at 100% of lab draws (N=89) and were taking a mean of 266mg Vitamin E daily. For Vitamin K, patients had normal laboratory values at 80% of lab draws (N=81) and were below normal the remaining 20 %. They were taking a mean of 1,209mg Vitamin K daily. Majority of our patients, 88.5%, were taking vitamins 3-6 times per day.

Conclusions

The patients in our study were taking much larger quantities of daily supplementation than is currently recommended by ASMBS, and they were able to maintain normal laboratory values for most key vitamins.